As mentioned earlier, we hope to train and develop: (1) HRM talents with global vision and leadership; (2) HRM professionals with excellent expertise; (3) HRM executives with strategic thinking and international mobility; and (4) excellent professors and researchers in the HRM fields. To achieve these goals, the following education methods and teaching activities are involved in our four programs:
- We also offer students with business visiting and ask students to form project teams to help the companies analyze the potential problems in the HRM functions (e.g., training, recruiting and selection, performance management, compensation and benefits, and so on) and propose useful solutions to address the problems.
- We deliver courses via regular lecture, interactive discussions and case study methods.
- We offer plenty opportunities for students to visit the companies with outstanding HRM practices and interact with top HR executives in these firms. We also regularly invite our alumni who are currently the HR head/executives of famous companies to give talks or share their valuable experiences during the courses.
- We offer students the opportunity of studying abroad for one semester. Students at the second year are expected to go abroad to study in order to acquire a global vision and enhance their language ability. Meanwhile, they can also conduct research for their thesis.
- We support students to conduct business research projects during summer interns. Before the students start their second year in the institute, they are expected to conduct research projects in the business sector during summer interns to gain actual on-site experience for their research projects. After they finish the projects, they have to present their findings in colloquia organized by the Institute. This training not only allows students to locate issues to be explored in their theses but also enables them to bridge the gaps between theory and practice.
- Foreign and Second Foreign Language Requirements. Students can only submit their thesis proposal after they have fulfilled first and second foreign language requirements. The requirements for second language proficiency hereby ensure the qualifications of students graduating from the Institute.
【Distinguished International Academic Research Achievement, Promote Academic Events】
Seven distinguished professors from different professional fields teach in Institute of Human Resource Management at NSYSU. Not only do they participate in the projects from Ministry of Science and Technology, but they also publish internationally in SSCI listed journals, such as Journal of International Business Studies, HRM Journal and Industrial Relations, etc. In addition, Institute of Human Resource Management also dedicates to making international academic contribution by holding international seminars with all varieties of topics including, APEC Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises Human Resource Management, Human Resource Management and Economic Growth in Asia Pacific Region and Human Resource Management and Labor Issues in mainland China, Taiwan and Hong Kong.
【Cultivate International perspective, Plentiful Course Design】
For the purpose of cultivating student’s international management perspectives and adapting to the vicissitude of time, Institute of Human Resource Management offers courses such as Human Resource Management of Enterprise in Mainland China, International Enterprise Management International Human Resource Management and International Comparison of Personnel Management. Those courses mainly focus on developing students’ global vision. Moreover, in order to promote academic exchange, enable students to acquire the latest management knowledge and enhance students’ English abilities, Institute of Human Resource Management invites American scholars to give English lectures during summer vacation irregularly.
【Enlarge International Vision, Acquire Various Experience】
To enlarge students’ international vision and enable them to experience the differences between local and foreign cultures and academy, the students of Institute of Human Resource Management in NSYSU are required to study overseas for a semester. Students should fulfill the requirements to be qualified for applying for the exchange program.
Institute of Human Resource Management also holds several school and corporate visits in Mainland China. Professors of Institute of Human Resource Management will arrange the itinerary and lead the tour. Students have visited several well-known universities, Taiwan businesses and local firms in Beijing, Shanghai, Xiamen, Guangzhou and Shandong. Students are also able to learn from each other through visiting and attending forums.
【Summer Project Research, Combine Theories with Practice】
In order to enhance the competitiveness to enter the workforce, students are required to join a two-month internship program in corporations during the summer vacation after their first academic year. Students will discuss and do research on the problems the corporations are facing, and propose solutions to the problems. In order to protect the rights and interests of both students and the corporations, Institute of Human Resource Management will sign project research contracts with the corporations.
Summer Project Research not only allows students to be familiar with how an entrepreneur operates before graduation but also encourages them to exhibit what they have learned to recommend solutions for problems a corporation face. That way, on the one hand, an entrepreneur is able to solve problems with a best approach to cut down operation costs. On the other hand, students can also perfectly combine theories with practice and make contribution to the society with what they have learned.
Moreover, after the project research, Institute of Human Resource Management will hold a public final presentation by inviting scholars and managers from corporations to give comments. Holding the final presentation not only helps students develop their presentation and improvisation skills, but also shares the results with the participants. Such presentation is significantly meaningful to both students and the whole business industry.
【Two Foreign Language Abilities, communicate without Obstacles】
Institute of Human Resource Management also encourages students to learn a second foreign language, such as Japanese, French, German, Spanish, etc. Japanese oral training courses are held every semester. Moreover, one of the goals of the exchange student program is to enhance students’ foreign language skills.
To arouse students’ interest in learning foreign languages, Institute of Human Resource Management set regulations that require students to pass the second foreign language test. By doing so, students’ language proficiency can be improved and the graduates’ quality can be ensured.